Reading Becoming has been one of my most surreal moments of this year. I had yet read a book that did not only leave me with very many feels but also left me reflecting A LOT after most sections. (I would love more book recommendations like this btw 🙂 ). So, although there were many things to I took away from Becoming, here are the 10 things that stood out most to me that I would like to share with you.
- NEVER be afraid to use your RESOURCES as you try to achieve something. These resources including reaching out to friends, peers and acquaintances. Ask around, use your VOICE and REACH out to as many people as you can. You would rather be turned down than miss an opportunity from not asking at all.
- DO NOT compromise your PRINCIPLES for other people. These are usually your foundations and help you be you. Compromising them for others is how you will start to lose yourself. Try to create time to reflect upon them and tweak them when necessary but do it for you, and not for others.
- SET your EXPECTATIONS in almost everything and let them be known (humans are yet to master the skill of mind reading). Do not lower your expectations out of fear of losing people around you or being judged. Stand your ground and people that soar at the same height as you will appear. 😉
- KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. This applies to various life avenues but Becoming made me reflect upon knowing what you want from an employment perspective. Do not let your employment be only about titles and positions but also about ACTIONS that bring you content. And challenge yourself to do these actions more often. You’ll be surprised by how many people you can reach out to when doing things you are passionate about, and how many opportunities will come knocking at your doorstep. We live in a world where anything is possible so, believe and do what makes you Content.
- PARENTHOOD is TOUGH!!! Period! Very Beautiful and doable but such a feat. (And nope, I do not have kids). So, if you have a child or children, pat yourself on the back. You’re doing a great job and you’ve got this!! On the other hand, if you do not have little ones but know somebody who does, reach out to them. Support them and avail yourself to give them a hand. Whether it is giving them some time to themselves and babysitting the little ones or just cheering them on. Every little thing counts. Shout out to all the Single Parents!!! **Hi-5s**
- FIND and keep a partner (if you want one) that BELIEVES in you and SUPPORTS you in doing what you believe in. PERIOD!!! And make sure to do the same. When you all return home, it will be you and your partner within the four walls. So, BE PRESENT in your relationship, listen to each other, respect each other and have each others’ backs. But most importantly, know how to communicate with each other.
- OFFER an UPLIFTING hand. Always!! Not only by helping others physically but also by GUIDING others and sharing knowledge. You have no idea whose life you can change and how. You also have no idea how Others can change or impact Your life. Have a kind heart and open doors for others. Both figuratively and physically. If you cannot help, connect them with somebody you believe can and let the cycle continue. They might not tell you but they will Never forget it because it Matters.
- FRIENDSHIPS are Very important. No man is an island. INVEST in people you care about and remember that it is about the quality of friends over quantity. Find and stick with those who elevate you and you them, and not those who like you because of your name or because of what is in your bank account.
- WORK!!!! Work, work, work and Work! Believe and dream then work even harder and smarter. They say even God helps those who help themselves. Nobody is going to help you get to where you want to go better than yourself. Sometimes you might not see the fruits of your labour immediately but your stars will align. Your fruits might even impact somebody or a community tomorrow or even 100 years from now. So, WORK!!
- BE HUMBLE!! Always!! Stay Humble. Turn it into a mantra if you have to. Humility goes a Long priceless way for you and others! So, be humble and listen to others.
There is still so much i can gush on about Becoming but I would rather you go pick it up yourself and give it a read. The best thing I loved about it though was the title and theme, Becoming, for life is just a journey and we are always becoming something and someone. 😉 Some parts of the book warmed my heart, some left me beaming and some even wet my eyes.
But Hey!…. No spoilers over here. Let me know what you think about it.
Love and Peace 🙂